29.9.06


Of the Byrds and Bees - err, I mean Bible

It is a gorgeous fall day. I usualy tell myself I love winter best, but days like today make think twice. It's just too perfect.

When I think of the seasons, I can't help but hum Turn Turn Turn by the Byrds and its foundation, lines from the third chapter of Ecclesastes (or, as a clever 9th grade public schol teacher once called, it Hebrew poetry).

As is often the case*, the "remake" pales when held up next to the original.

(HCSB)
There is an occasion for everything,
and a time for every activity under heaven :
a time to give birth and a time to die;
a time to plant and a time to uproot;
a time to kill and a time to heal;
a time to tear down and a time to build;
a time to weep and time to laugh;
a time to mourn and a time to dance;
a time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
a time to a time to embrace and time to avoid embracing;
a time to search and a time to count as lost;
a time to keep and time to throw away;
a time to tear and time to sew;
a time to be silent and a time to speak;
a time to love and time to hate;
a time for war and a time for peace.

The only thing I might add is "a time for lunch."

*Except for Ocean's 11 and The Italian Job. The originals are star-studded Hell-bound train wrecks .

No comments: