31.3.08

Putting the Intelligent back in Intelligent Design



Without a doubt, my least favorite class at OBU was US 311/312: Nat Sci. The prof was a really nice guy and, bless him, he tried very hard to impart his passion for the study of God’s creation. Most of that went over my head (blissfully, too, I might add), but one section, I understood but disliked because it’s poor scholarship: Intelligent Design.

If my introduction to ID was like the rest of the scientific community, I can certainly see why they immediately dismiss it and those who argue for it. As much as it seems fair to me that teachers should be allowed to at least tell students that there is a legitimate alternative theory to Darwinian evolution and as much as I emphasize that the theory of evolution is just a theory, I understand why they ignore us. Our message is just so vague and garbled. This, coming from a conservative Southern Baptist who agrees with Intelligent Design proponents’ ultimate premise with all my mind, body, heart and soul (God created us and the rest of the world; we didn’t evolve from monkeys)!

Intelligent Design (ID), as I was taught, says that life (“irreduceably complex systems) cannot be explained by random evolution. Therefore, scientifically, someone/something must have made things (plants, rocks, people, gerbils, grub worms) the way there are.

I think that’s a pretty hasty leap in logic. I prefer my own definition, which says you can’t scientifically prove evolution; therefore you shouldn’t discount other theories until they are disproved.

And here’s where Ben Stein and I come together. It was only a matter of time before two great minds such as our melded and came up with an INTELLIGENT argument for those in the ID camp.

Stein (who you may know as “Boring Teacher” from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, OR the ClearEyes commercials OR Win Ben Stein’s Money OR as a speech writer for Nixon), has come out with a documentary he wrote and narrated called “Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed.” He isn’t arguing that “God created the universe in seven days and I can prove it,” but he is gently point out the fact that there apparently is no room in our society for friendly, intelligent debate about the questions that haunt our souls.

From the films’ website, GetExpelled.com: “Big Science in this area has lost its way,” says Stein. “Scientists are supposed to be allowed to follow the evidence wherever it may lead, no matter what the implications are. Freedom of inquiry has been greatly compromised, and this is not only anti-science, it’s anti-American.”

I’ve been trying to say that since August of my junior year, it just took Ben Stein to say it.

I have not seen the movie, which opens April 18th, so I hesitate to praise it too much or too soon. However, I can certainly appreciate the tone Stein takes in the trailer and “super trailer” of the film (that's the one I'd reccomend watching). He isn’t belligerent, like, say, Michael Moore, but he is persistent in a gentle, funny way. Of course, that is Stein calling card. Even though he is Jewish, he is one of the first to jump out and defender my right to shout “Merry Christmas” from the rooftops for all the world to here and is a staunch supporter of those who put Nativity Scenes on public property, even if – GASP – there isn’t a menorah to be seen.









Ben says that it’s OK if you disagree with him, and I would echo the same thing. This is America and you have that right. You also have the right to unilaterally refuse listen to my any of ideas. But, that wouldn’t be very… Intelligent, now would it?

No comments: