7.6.08

SBC 2008 Day 1 - The First Running of the Indianapolis 466


Today’s drive was relatively uneventful. I left around 12:30 this afternoon and headed east.

I had a Chicken Bacon Swiss from Arby’s at Kingdom City and it was delicious, even though I forgot to have them hold the honey mustard. This became even more of a problem when a six-inch long and honey mustard-soaked strip of bacon fell out and plummeted through space toward my white shirt. It was then, at 1:12 p.m. at mile marker 151, that God Almighty reached down from His throne on high and carefully guided said strip of bacon to rest lightly along the length of my seat belt. I was able to pick up the strip and wipe down the seat belt without incident. Just one more reason why you should always buckle up.

I mostly listened to Harry Potter XII on CD, but also sprinkled in some talk radio and a Robin Williams comedy album. Robin, dude, seriously, lay off the cocaine. Seriously.

About halfway through Illinois, I saw a sign saying I-70 (the interstate that conveniently runs from Indianapolis to pretty much my front door) was closed due to massive flash flooding. This meant I had to take a detour 62 miles north to I-74, then from there I came into Indy from the north. It added 107 miles to my trip. Oh well… more mileage for me!

When I finally made it into Indy, I was swept into one hoppin’ down town. Wow. Indy knows how to party! I made my way to my hotel, fought my way into a parking spot on the street and went inside to check in. Once inside, I found out the good folks at the Indianapolis Crowne Plaza had oversold their hotel so there was literally no room in the inn. No problem, I’m flexible. They were very apologetic (they should be), and offered to put me up in hotel down the street at their expense for the night. So, now I’m living it up with two king-sized beds, kitchen, living room and plasma screen TVs in Suite 406 at the Indy Hilton.

I just realized I lost an hour due to crossing into the Eastern time zone. Dang it. Tomorrow is going to come early.

SNL was a re-run, but it turns out it was the one LeBron James which means it had the I Ran Digital Short. HI-LAR-I-OUS. I don’t automatically laugh at everything Andy Samberg does, but this one is pure genius.


Tomorrow, my only assignment is to cover a preacher at 9:45 a.m. and then I’ll have the rest of the day off. Here’s hoping!

No comments: